Singapore is a small, island city-state located in Southeast Asia. It is one of the world’s most prosperous and developed countries, with a highly advanced economy and a high standard of living.
Singapore is known for its modern architecture, efficient public transportation system, and its multicultural society, which is made up of people from Chinese, Malay, Indian, and other backgrounds.
Singapore gained its independence from Malaysia in 1965, and since then has undergone rapid development and modernization, becoming a global financial and trading hub.
The country is known for its strict laws and regulations, including a ban on chewing gum and heavy penalties for drug offenses. Despite its small size, Singapore is a popular tourist destination, attracting visitors with its vibrant food scene, shopping, and attractions such as the Marina Bay Sands hotel and the Gardens by the Bay.
Cheap flights to Singapore
Singapore has many famous attractions that draw visitors from all over the world. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Marina Bay Sands: This iconic hotel and casino features a stunning rooftop infinity pool with amazing views of the city skyline.
- Gardens by the Bay: This nature park features beautiful gardens, outdoor art installations, and the iconic Supertrees, which are towering tree-like structures that light up at night.
- Sentosa Island: This resort island offers a range of activities and attractions, including Universal Studios Singapore, Adventure Cove Waterpark, and the S.E.A. Aquarium.
- Merlion Park: This waterfront park is home to Singapore’s iconic Merlion statue, which is half-lion and half-fish and symbolizes the country’s history as a fishing village and a lion city.
- Singapore Flyer: This giant observation wheel offers stunning panoramic views of the city from 165 meters above ground.
- Chinatown: This vibrant neighborhood is home to colorful shophouses, bustling street markets, and historic temples.
- Orchard Road: This famous shopping district is lined with malls, boutiques, and restaurants.
These are just a few of the many attractions that Singapore has to offer, and there are many more worth exploring.
Cost of living
Singapore is known for being one of the most expensive cities in the world, with a high cost of living that is comparable to other major global cities such as New York, London, and Tokyo. The cost of living in Singapore varies depending on factors such as the type of accommodation, lifestyle, and personal preferences. Here are some estimated costs for common expenses in Singapore:
- Accommodation: Rent for a one-bedroom apartment in the city center can range from SGD 2,000 to SGD 4,000 per month. Outside the city center, rent can be slightly cheaper.
- Food: A meal at a local hawker center or food court can cost around SGD 5 to SGD 10. Eating at a mid-range restaurant can cost around SGD 30 to SGD 50 per person.
- Transportation: A single trip on public transport (MRT or bus) costs around SGD 1.50 to SGD 2.50. Taxis and ride-hailing services can be more expensive.
- Utilities: Monthly bills for utilities (electricity, water, gas) for a small apartment can range from SGD 100 to SGD 200.
- Entertainment: Movie tickets cost around SGD 12 to SGD 15, while admission to attractions such as the Singapore Zoo or Universal Studios Singapore can cost around SGD 30 to SGD 80.
Overall, Singapore can be an expensive place to live, but it is also possible to find more affordable options for accommodation, food, and entertainment. The country offers a high standard of living with excellent public services, infrastructure, and amenities, which can make the higher cost of living worth it for many people.
where to stay
Tips to Trip
If you’re planning a trip to Singapore, here are some tips that may help you make the most of your visit:
- Check the weather: Singapore is known for its hot and humid weather, so be sure to check the forecast and pack appropriate clothing and sunscreen.
- Respect local customs: Singapore is a multicultural society with many different religions and customs. It’s important to be respectful of local customs, such as removing your shoes before entering a home or temple, and dressing modestly in places of worship.
- Get an EZ-Link card: This is a prepaid card that can be used on public transportation (MRT and buses) and can also be used to pay for purchases at some stores and vending machines. It can save you time and money compared to buying individual tickets.
- Try the local food: Singapore is famous for its diverse and delicious food scene. Be sure to try local favorites such as Hainanese chicken rice, laksa, and satay.
- Visit the free attractions: Singapore has many free attractions, such as the Gardens by the Bay, the Merlion Park, and the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple. These can be great ways to see the city without breaking the bank.
- Be mindful of the rules: Singapore has strict laws and regulations, such as a ban on chewing gum and heavy penalties for drug offenses. Be sure to follow the rules to avoid any legal trouble.
- Stay hydrated: With the hot and humid weather, it’s important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
By following these tips, you can have a safe and enjoyable trip to Singapore.
Worth to visit?
Singapore is definitely worth a visit! It is a modern and vibrant city-state with a unique blend of cultures and traditions. Here are some reasons why Singapore is worth a visit:
- Attractions: Singapore has a wide range of attractions that appeal to different interests, such as the Marina Bay Sands, Gardens by the Bay, Sentosa Island, and the Singapore Zoo.
- Food: Singapore is known for its diverse and delicious food scene, with a mix of Chinese, Malay, Indian, and other cuisines. You can find everything from street food to Michelin-starred restaurants.
- Culture: Singapore is a melting pot of cultures and traditions, with various festivals and events throughout the year. You can experience everything from Chinese New Year to the Hindu festival of lights, Diwali.
- Safety: Singapore is considered one of the safest cities in the world, with low crime rates and a strict law enforcement system.
- Cleanliness: Singapore is known for its clean and green environment, with strict laws and regulations to maintain cleanliness and sustainability.
- Convenience: Singapore has an efficient public transportation system, making it easy to get around the city. The country also has a high level of development and modern infrastructure.
Overall, Singapore offers a unique and enjoyable travel experience with a mix of modernity, culture, and nature.